The following methodology/rules apply for the versioning of EBICS:
They differentiate between clarifications and enhancements/extensions:
- Major versions: Changes of the EBICS workflow and extensions can only be incorporated in the subsequent EBICS versions. These versions are incremented as 3.0, 3.1 ..., if so 4.0, 4.1. (One version per year at the most).
- These are functional changes of the EBICS workflow or additional features.
- Generally these changes cause an update of the EBICS schema.
- Minor versions: Between these versions, one or more "revision documents" are possible. Their version numbers are incremented as 3.0.1, 3.0.2 etc.
- Clarifications are textual revisions of the specification document or
- Additional facilities, which concern the current process, e.g. additional/new examples
- These changes must not cause any update of the EBICS schema
- Amendments in the errors code list (Annex 1)
- Amendments in the Annex TLS.